Front-end development is one of the most important processes of developing a website. Front-end is the side of a website a user interacts with. There have been several languages for developing front-end for a long time now. Out of all these front-end development languages, we have chosen the top 4 most used languages today. In this article, we will review these languages and what makes them great, and what features they offer.
Differences between Front-end and Back-end Languages
Front-end deals with the client’s side, and back-end is the server’s side. All the things that a user sees and interacts with should be developed by the front-end developers. These things include buttons, templates, navigation menus, etc. The back-end deals with the operations that enable the website to serve the user. These operations can include creating databases, libraries, APIs, etc.
Now that we have reviewed a brief of these languages, let’s see the top 4 front-end development languages.
HTML stands for Hyper Text Markup Language. It was initially released in 1993, and after so many improvements and updates, nowadays we use the most updated version, HTML5. Here are some of the features of this language:
- HTML is very simple and easy to understand and start with. Lots of new programmers start learning with this language.
- Almost all of the existing browsers support this language and render it.
- You do not need any extra applications or debuggers for this language. It can be written in the simplest code or text editors and immediately rendered by browsers.
- It is useful for creating a layout and structure of all the data that you want to present on a website. You can add coloring and styling, meta tags for SEO and all of that in a single HTML file. It is very lightweight to use and share.
CSS stands for Cascading Style Sheets. It was initially released in 1996. To this day, we use CSS to give our website a visual design, including coloring, shapes, sizing, hover animations, etc. We can create a lightweight file and store all the visual assets and elements of a website there. Here are some of the features of this language:
- You can style an entire website’s pages with a single CSS file. From there, you can use the classes to expand attributes to the entire website. For example, all the buttons will look similar.
- You can list the styling attributes on the HTML file on this CSS file to reduce the size of the HTML file.
- Many browsers support and universally understand CSS.
- It is very simple and easy to learn and write in this language. Editing it is easy in any text or code editor.
- You can turn your design files from Figma or Adobe XD into CSS codes very easily. Web designers mostly know how to use this language.
- It helps reduce the load on the server since it’s used on the client’s side.
- It offers various libraries for creating interactive and attractive websites.
- You can use it alongside HTML as they support each other. You can input any kind of data from many sources of your choice into it.
- It requires security checks. Since it directly goes to the client’s side, it can be exploited easily.
- It is a very simple language to learn and write. This is because it has features to support various types of input, to the point that it can accept HTML.
- Due to it being simple, it is easy to debug. It means that the debugging process can be done before you execute the code.
- One of the best things that you can achieve with React JS easier than other languages is its support for SEO. You can optimize your website with React to achieve better ranking and indexing when it comes to search engine results. It also loads very quickly compared to websites with other languages, even at a high load.
The good thing about starting out with these front-end development languages is that you can use them together to create an even better website for your specific needs. If you need consultation or front-end development for your website, you can contact our React JS and front-end development professionals at PengYi Labs to guide you through the process. We are available for new projects!